4 Day Far North Escape
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Auckland
- Product code: P1R0LB
Northland is simply stunning. Rich in culture and steeped in history, our Far North Escape tour will take you to some of the very best parts. Everyone from solo travellers to couples and small groups of friends are welcome, so join your new group of mates and enjoy sharing the outdoors sailing, sandboarding, swimming, and more together. Spots sell out quickly, so book now to avoid disappointment!
Thing to Look Forward to
- Sit back, bring a drink or two, and relax while taking in the Bay of Islands’ sights and sounds on our private sunset cruise
- Beach day at Matauri Bay with a short hiking opportunity to see the stunning coastline
- Explore the nightlife of Paihia with your new crew!
- Sunday relaxation at the gorgeous Kai Iwi Lakes for a freshwater dip
- Learn to surf at the famous 90 mile beach with a group lesson with qualified instructors (optional add on)
- Push yourself at the giant Te Paki sand dunes for some sandboarding!
- Experience Te Rerenga Wairua (Cape Reinga), where your guides explain the cultural significance of the northernmost tip of Aotearoa. We check out the famous lighthouse and allow some time to take in the beauty and magic of this special place
- Pass by the birthplace of NZ, the magical Hokianga, we can also visit the largest Kauri tree in NZ ‘Tane Mahuta’ and experience the breathtaking drive through the Waipoua forest.
- ALL accommodation (dorm share)
- ALL transport
- ALL breakfasts and dinners, plus lunch on day 3
- 2hr Bay of Islands exclusive yacht charter
- Te Paki Sandboarding with gear rental
Day 1: Auckland - Waipu - Paihia
After our meet and greet in Auckland, we load into the van and head north towards Waipu for lunch via a beautiful section of coastline only a stone’s throw from the city of sails. We stop at Mcleod’s Brewery and Pizza Barn for lunch, then continue on our way to the Bay of Islands. On arrival at our accommodation in Paihia, you will be given time to settle in and get changed before we embark on an exclusive evening sailing trip around the surrounding bays. We have chartered the boat just for our group, so this is the perfect opportunity to share a drink and get to know your fellow road-trippers. After the sailing trip, we head back to the accommodation where your guides will prepare a delicious dinner for you to wrap up the day. You will also have the opportunity to experience the Paihia nightlife with your crew.
Day 2: Paihia - Matauri Bay - Henderson Bay
ou’ll start the day in the beautiful coastal town of Paihia before the guides prepare a tasty continental breakfast. We’ll then set off by winding our way up the east coast to explore some stunning beaches and short walks. We stop at one of, if not the best, fish and chip shops in the country (a bold claim, we know, so you’ll have to try for yourself!) for lunch*. We then continue on our way into the far north, heading for the classic Kiwi beach that we have to ourselves for the evening. There is time to wander down and relax on the pink sand beach the property backs onto or continue along the coastal walkway to stroll the long, golden sands of Henderson Bay. But be back in time for dinner! Your guides will be cooking up a feed on the barbeque because is it really a New Zealand road trip without a barby?
Day 3: Henderson Bay - Te Rerenga Wairua (Cape Reinga) - Ahipara
We start day 3 slightly later than the day before, to allow time for a sleep in and a cooked breakfast. Afterwards, we head straight for Te Rerenga Wairua, where your guides explain the cultural significance of the northernmost tip of Aotearoa. We check out the famous lighthouse and allow some time to take in the beauty and magic of this special place. Your guides will prepare lunch for you before we head to the giant Te Paki sand dunes for some sandboarding! You will work up a sweat climbing and sliding down the sand dunes, so we make an essential stop for real fruit ice cream before continuing to our accommodation at the southern end of 90 Mile Beach. You may be lucky enough to witness a west coast sunset while your guides prepare the final dinner of the trip.
Day 4: Ahipara - Waipoua Forest - Auckland
It may be the last day but we aren’t finished yet! Start your day right with an optional add on sunrise surf lesson on the famous 90-mile beach where you’ll be looked after by qualified surf instructors. After this incredible experience, we will head back for breakfast then cruise back in time to board a car ferry that crosses the sleepy waters of the Hokianga Harbour. This little-known area was the birthplace of our nation and here you will learn about the incredible history from your guides on our way to lunch*, and again when we go to visit Tāne Mahuta – the God of the forest. Depending on weather and group energy levels, there is an opportunity to stop at Kai Iwi lakes, before making the final leg of the journey back to Auckland.